Saturday 4 August 2018

Tense time checking "Queenless" stocks.

It's no use putting it off any longer.  I need to open 3 hives which seem to have been queenless for weeks. Each 7 day full apiary inspection Yellow'H',
Red and Blue/Yellow have not shown any sign having Queens - unless you count bees in good mood with quite a few combs empty and cells polished to a high gloss. B/Y Queen hatched on 3rd July and by 14th I found a rather weird split brood nest comprising 2 patches of capped brood, 3 combs  of pollen and nectar, then 2 combs of eggs and tiny larvae. I did what you should never do and made a "proper" brood nest.
Then, on 3rd August I found, to my relief, Yellow'H' had masses of eggs and larvae and Red had 2 combs capped and 1of eggs. NB. on 3rd Aug. I was wearing contact lenses and had a X10 mag.glass!!
 Yellow'H' masses of eggs. This comb is full. I know you can't see them! Take my word for it.

Below, a comb from Red. There are eggs and newly hatched larvae in the gaps and stores in the corners. Poor quality comb, but after the stress of queenlessness I'll settle for this, for now anyway.
QBzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Add caption
 

No comments:

Post a Comment