Friday 16 March 2018

Just when you think Spring has sprung.......

"Stone" colony has been busy bringing in pollen (temp. 9C)
but today the Siberian blast is back!  It's very windy and 2C so all have gone home and it's very quiet. I checked the Candypollen block (above the feeder hole in the crown board and found it full of very busy bees.
Anyway, I'm worried that the freezing Easterly wind which is blowing almost directly into the hive entrances will chill any early brood and the adults too. Tomorrow we're expecting more snow.  At the same time we need an airflow. So this is what I do under these circumstances. The mouse guards are still on, and the hollow trays shelter the entrances from strong draughts and drifting snow. This time of the year I watch the hive entrances very carefully - the bees' behaviour tells me what's going on inside without opening up and upsetting the ambient temperature.
 I won't take even a quick peek inside until the outside temperature is 12C-15C depending on the weather.
QB back into cluster 'til next week.












No comments:

Post a Comment