Monday 22 April 2019

First Inspection '19 - a risky business!!

The temperature over this Easter weekend is rising so good opportunity to check through all 5 colonies without risking chilling any brood (if any!!!).
Last Autumn I put an empty super box on each floorboard; then brood box (with brood and stores) above; then 10 comb super with rapid feeder (easier than contact feeder) above. No Q excluder.

The risk is that if I don't get into the Spring inspection before the Q starts
laying she will most likely lay in the top box - the super. Like this - Q in Red colony keen to get started.  I'll tell you what I did about this in my next Post.
Meanwhile, before I start on the first colony it's important to get everything ready. All clean , wooden parts blow torched to kill any pathogens, varroa eggs etc. Continued tomorrow. 
What would you do if you found brood in super at start of season, leave a comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment