Tuesday 30 April 2019

Veg. Garden at end of April

Getting the puppy has caused me some delay in sowing and planting. I guess everything will catch up. The weather has been very dry but that downpour last Saturday did a lot of good - unfortunately the weeds enjoyed it too.
So to date - all  garlic and Autumn planted onion sets are coming on well.
Last week I planted the heat-treated onion sets - 3 varieties inc. red. I find onions from the heat treated sets don't go to seed.
Three varieties of sweet pea (I absolutely love sweet peas) are putting down roots but not really ready to climb yet.
Lady Christl (early potatoes), Desiree (red, main crop) and Kestrel (midseason) are all tucked up in their trenches, away from any late frosts.
Last Friday I planted the young Tenderstem Broccoli seedlings under the cloche. Here we have problems with voles and mice.
Next job, sow peas (Alderman) which climb to 6ft. Good crop.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment