Thursday 10 May 2018

20C? Time to have a plan!!!

QB never opens the hives without a pre-thought plan. Saturday, 5th May turned out to be a SCORCHER. Good time to inspect as the bees will be far too busy foraging and spring-cleaning to pay any attention to me.
There are 5 hives in a staggered line facing slightly different directions.
Each colony now has a1 deep brood, a queen excluder and 1 (or 2) supers of stores. I start at the furthest hive and then I don't have to deal with flying bees who have picked up alarms from other colonies.
The plan: Lift super and place to one side covered by crown board.
              : Inspect QX carefully to ensure Q not on it- lean it beside entrance
              : Take first frame out to make space to move other frames along.
              : Lift each frame in turn, carefully examine (dark side first)
We are looking at the state of the brood, stores (pollen& honey), behaviour of the bees. Is the Q there? Eggs? Stages of larvae?
Tune in tomorrow for my results and a shock!!
Here's a new flower in my garden - I could just eat it myself!
Tulip sp. Peppermint Stick closed

Peppermint stick opens to the Sun.
Black pollen - the bees love it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment